Thursday, January 6, 2022

The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook: Review

Full disclosure, I've had this cookbook for years and made a number of recipes from it before I decided to start this blog. I received this lovely book from my husband as a birthday gift some years ago.  We immediately tried a number of recipes for the holiday season.  I didn't review any of them at the time, but all of them were interesting enough to make more than once.  I particularly want to make Aunt Petunia's pudding again, as it was a big hit the first time we made it!

This book has no pictures or illustrations of the finished recipes, and the pages are all rough cut, I presume to sort of imitate the feeling of a hand written spell book. I rather like the look and feel of the book, but it isn't the highly polished presentation that some of the other fantasy cookbooks aim for. The paper itself is good quality, and the individual recipes are easy to read and the directions are well written.  I enjoy the little historical and Harry Potter related notes included with each recipe. My only beef with this cookbook is the organization of the recipes themselves.  There is no real rhyme or reason to it that I can make out. Each section is related to a part of Harry's journey through the magical realm, or characters there-in.  There are sections for the Dursley's, the Train, Diagon Alley, Giant's and Elves, the Great Hall, and so forth.  It's very whimsical, and I do think it captures the feeling of the Wizarding World in it's layout, but it makes it more difficult to navigate when looking for main dishes or desserts, for instance.  It does have a very nice Index, something I have noticed most fantasy cookbooks lack, so that can help if you know the main ingredient or the name of the recipe you are looking for.


This cookbook is really a love letter to classic British cuisine, which I think shows through in the Wizarding World as well.  There's all the fun things foreigners might like to try, like Spotted Dick and Toad in the Hole, as well as more Wizarding World specific treats that fire the imagination, like Pumpkin Pasties and a wide variety of Honeydukes treats.  Mostly it's very common British fare. Stews, roasts, meat pies and classic puddings, the sort of things that are very suitable for regular meals.  I like the mixture of the magical and the mundane, it fits the world of Harry Potter very well.

Here are some of the recipes my family has tried from this cookbook.


No comments:

Post a Comment

A Feast of Ice and Fire, a Cookbook Review

 Authors Chelsea Monroe-Cassel and Sariann Lehrer have done a marvelous job with this Official Companion Cookbook. More than 200 glossy page...