Thursday, January 6, 2022

Herbed Boiled Potatoes, Surprisingly Good!

 This certainly isn't the flashiest, most magical, or most exciting recipe in The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook, but it is a solid one.  This recipe can be found in chapter seven, Lunch and Dinner in the Dining Hall, and does seem like something Ron would have wolfed down while Hermione watched with concern.

It reminds me a lot of my grandmothers German potato salad.  It uses an oil and vinegar dressing instead of mayo, as most American potato salads do, and it is served warm, instead of cold.  It relies heavily on the vinegar and herbs for flavor, and is a tasty, simple side dish suitable for a weeknight meal.



I served this side with a main of Ogri'La's Chicken Fingers, from the Official World of WarCraft Cookbook.  A very nice pairing, as this potato salad is very bright and herby, a good contrast to the richer chicken.   I have actually made this dish a second time with fresh mint and thyme instead of dill, and it was fantastic. I think it will work well with a variety of herbs, depending on your tastes.  I don't happen to have Tarragon vinegar, which seems very specific, abut again I think a variety of vinegars will work.  I've tried both a simple cider vinegar, and a much more complicated raspberry and lime balsamic, and both made a wonderful dressing, so this recipe is very suitable to substitutions and working with what you have in your fridge, pantry, or garden

The only thing I would change when making this in the future is I might add salt to the water when boiling the potatoes.  Otherwise it is good as written, but also very easy to change to suite your needs.  This will certainly go into our regular dinner rotation!


No comments:

Post a Comment

A Feast of Ice and Fire, a Cookbook Review

 Authors Chelsea Monroe-Cassel and Sariann Lehrer have done a marvelous job with this Official Companion Cookbook. More than 200 glossy page...