Saturday, January 15, 2022

White Beans and Bacon

 From A Feast of Ice and Fire comes the recipe for White Beans and Bacon..

This is a very simple recipe, particularly if you use canned beans.  It will take a little planning ahead and cook time if  you use dried beans.

We had a very late night where my dinner plans went out the window, so I decided to try this recipe using canned navy beans, and a beautiful thick shoulder cut bacon I had recently purchased. I did have the endive called for in the modern version, but as I'm the only one who enjoys the slightly bitter veggies, I decided to try out the Medieval version for my family instead.



Very simple, fast and declivous, this is going to be my own personal go to when I want a quick savory lunch at home.  I was the biggest fan, giving it a 5/5, both hubby and daughter had issues with either the beans or the bacon portion, giving it a 3/5, but still good, above average.  Personally, I'm a fan of the medieval spice blend Poudre Douce used in this recipe, as I think the sweet and lightly spicy nature give it something like an old world baked beans flavor.

I served it with a very simple salad topped with scallions and some local sourdough.  


I will save this for other weeknight emergencies, but mostly I suppose I'll be making this for myself when I have a bit of craving for something hearty and meaty that doesn't take forever to cook up.


No comments:

Post a Comment

A Feast of Ice and Fire, a Cookbook Review

 Authors Chelsea Monroe-Cassel and Sariann Lehrer have done a marvelous job with this Official Companion Cookbook. More than 200 glossy page...