Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Greatfather's Winter Ale

This recipe is on page 199 of the World of WarCraft Official Cookbook.  It is listed as Skill Level: Master, and I agree.  I think tempering the eggs in a safe manner is fairly difficult, but if you are comfortable trying that, this recipe is certainly unique.

This recipe includes apples, oranges, a variety of holiday spices, eggs, ale, apple cider, brandy, brown sugar and maple syrup. Quite a variety of ingredients!

(Alternatively, we also tried this using prepared eggnog instead of of the eggs and Holiday Spices, and it was actually pretty similar in taste.)


I made this for my husband and myself to enjoy a few days before Christmas.  We made 1/3 batch because there were only 2 of us, and I used a local holiday ale. I also omitted the baked fruit since we weren't serving it for guests.

The taste is really unusual.  Not quite eggnog, not quite grog, but both of us found we liked it more as we sipped on it. A touch creamy, a touch fruity, a touch bitter, a touch spicy, a lot sweet; this drink has a lot going on. It certainly would make an impression at a party!

I give this recipe a 3.5 out of 5 stars.  It is a bit difficult for a mixed drink, and some folks might not enjoy the unusual and complex flavors. All the same, it is very fitting for the winter holidays!


No comments:

Post a Comment

A Feast of Ice and Fire, a Cookbook Review

 Authors Chelsea Monroe-Cassel and Sariann Lehrer have done a marvelous job with this Official Companion Cookbook. More than 200 glossy page...